Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ein Karem in Judea

ADVENT   Luke 1:5-25

Ein Karem, which means "Spring of the Vineyard" in Hebrew, is the birthplace of Saint John the Baptist.



There a a couple of sites here of interest to Christians, two of which are the summer and winter homes of Zachariah and Elizabeth, St. John's parents. The Chapel of St. John the Baptist is the site of their winter home.


The walk up to the entrance of the churchyard at the Chapel has many "distractions" on both the left and right! I was good going up, but coming back down I bought rosaries made of rosewood and scented with rosemary.

  

The vendors stop at the gate which opens up into a good-sized courtyard with the entrance to the church.
 


I really loved this church! As you can see it is covered in blue and white tile and is just lovely!


I am a blue-and-white girl myself (as anyone who has ever been in my kitchen knows!) so I was really enchanted with the inside decor of this chapel.


I could have spent some time there just sitting and taking it all in. It had a happy, cheerful feeling to it. I don't know if that is how everyone feels, or just me because the blue-and-white had such a comforting feel to it which appealed to me. Maybe it was because this was at the end of our trip and I was unconsciously identifying with the sense of home it gave me? 
 

But as you see in the photo, there was another pilgrim group there holding Mass, so we quietly skirted around the inside edges of the church trying to be inconspicuous and didn't stay inside the sanctuary long.

Under the "modern" church, which was built in 1674, is a grotto where the actual birthplace of St. John the Baptist is. It is in a cave below the altar of the upper church.


We were allowed to go beneath the altar and venerate the spot as Mom is doing in this photo by praying at the site.

I actually had to do some research when I returned home to keep this all straight in my mind. (I'm sure our very-informative guide Hill-el explained it, but there were many times when I either couldn't hear him, or in his defense, was running my mouth to Mom or wandering off taking pictures.)

So from what I understand, Zachariah was one of many Jewish priests spread throughout the area to serve the people. He served in his little home-town where he lived with his wife. Maybe he had lots of time to devote since they had no children? In any case, every now and then, the priests would be called to go serve the big, main temple in Jerusalem. They would go there and serve for a week or two...sounds like a good plan to me.

Of all the priests only one would be chosen to enter the Holy of Holies. The inner sanctuary in the Temple in Jerusalem was where the Ark of the Covenant was kept and was called the Holy of Holies. As everyone who's ever seen an Indian Jones movie knows, The Ark of the Covenant contained the Ten Commandments, which were given to Moses on Mount Sinai.

The priests "drew lots" for the honor of entering the inner sanctuary, as they felt like this was the way to let God choose who entered. This must have been HUGE to them! I can imagine that having priests coming from all around the nation for such a holy event and getting chosen from the group! Wow, I can see where this might have never happened in someone's lifetime!! How unbelievably blessed Zachariah must have felt!

So the moment has come - I can maybe identify a little with how he felt. I was so blessed to visit so many holy sites and touch and kiss them. The feeling immediately beforehand is almost indescribable. There is such a feeling of longing and anticipation for meeting the spiritual, it's wonderful and exciting and stressful and anxiety-causing all at the same time!

Zachariah carries the incense and slowly enters the revered sanctuary where God resided.  
 

We know from the Gospel of Luke (Lk 1:5-25) that an angel comes to him. It's the annunciation to Zachariah of St. John the Baptist's coming. Elizabeth is wife will bare him a son.

Fast forward 6 months. The Angel Gabriel appears to a virgin, Mary, and announces the coming of Jesus the Messiah. (Lk 1:26-38).

Zacharia says to Gabriel "How will I know this is so? For I am an old man and my wife is getting on in year." We all know that Zacharias didn't believe and was struck mute.

Mary says to Gabriel "How can this be since I am a virgin?" But Gabriel does not punish her, he just explains.

Hmmmmmm.

So I am thinking about this. I don't understand the difference. Why is Zachariah considered an unbeliever? It's confusing and really kinda scary!

These two people both receive confusing and miraculous news. And to me, they responded almost identically. So why the difference in response?

Mary follows her explanation with "Let it be done to me according to your will." Maybe Zachariah would have also come around with a similar statement if he could talk? Or maybe he has little faith. What is the deal here? There is obviously a difference.

What if God calls me? What if I don't respond correctly? I want to be like Mary, I want to please God with my reaction! I certainly don't want to be like Zachariah.

What requests do I receive from God each day? How am I am responding?

If an angel showed up right this second, what would I do? How would I act? Am I ready for something like that? Would I have doubts? Would I be brave? Would I freak out?

Maybe Zachariah was expected to respond differently because he was a priest. He was, after all, inside the Holy of Holies. He was not caught off guard, he knew he was in the sanctuary where God was. Maybe God expected a more rapid and total belief from one who was suppose to be in the midst of deep prayer performing a very reverence act of faith as it was.

Mary was at her house. Maybe she was performing some mundane household chore. Going about her normal daily activities. Was her heart closer to God in her everyday life than a priest performing a hallowed deed?

The Bible says she was "perplexed". The Bible says Zachariah was "terrified and fear overwhelmed him". There is definitely a difference in those reactions.

Mary was young. Zachariah was old. Does our time living on this earth move us towards the skeptical as we age? Towards unbelief in the supernatural? Does the millions of interactions and experiences and worldly knowledge of our years cause us to lean towards doubt? Or was Mary's inexperience taken into consideration when she first questioned?

The saying "With greater power comes greater responsibility". I see examples of this in life all the time.

Zachariah was eventually give his voice back at the birth of his son. And when he could speak, he certainly did have marvelous and convicted words to say!


Oh Lord I pray that I will always answer with a resounding "YES" to you!  Let me please have the faith and fortitude to respond within your will.  I hope and pray in any event where you are speaking to me, I am not so shocked-amazed-confused-afraid that I react in a way that saddens you.  No matter if I am sitting in your holy presence in adoration of you or feeding the dog, Let me never disappoint you God!  Amen.



2012 Pilgrimage to Israel - Day 9 

No comments:

Post a Comment