Monday, December 10, 2012

St. Joseph in Nazareth

ADVENT
Luke 1: 18-25

St. Joseph's Church in Nazareth is within the same complex as the Basilica of the Annunciation.



At the time, I wasn't exactly sure what site I was visiting or what made this place a stop on our pilgrimage and thought it was just a lovely church dedicated to St. Joseph beside the Basilica.

The funny part is that I researched and read and looked at pictures and tried hard to know about all the places I was going ahead of time. (It helped some, but in a lot of cases I realized a lot more about the site once I returned home and began this project.) Anyway, the internet said this place was called the The Church of the Nutrition and also The Church of Joseph’s Workshop.

And to confuse matters even more, the postcard I purchased here is titled "Church of the Holy Family". So I'm not going to take any responsibility nor feel bad for not knowing where I was or what I was doing here. (Again, I'm sure Hillel told us and I missed it or just couldn't process all he said at the time. As I've said before and will say many times, Hillel was amazing in his knowlege of everywhere and everything in Israel!)

So, here was this little church which was so small and plain compared to the giant Basilica. Someone made the comparison that it was a "solid and unpretentious building, very much in the shadow of the imposing Annunciation basilica — just as St Joseph himself lived in the shadow of Jesus and Mary." Thought provoking!

Most churches had decent-sized courtyards in front of them so the fact that we went up a small sidewalk and had to turn right to enter this church was very uncommon. The front of the church was almost up against a wall.

Altar of St. Joseph's Church

Inside the church was very typical of what we had been seeing in the structures built over sacred sites but on a smaller scale. A large nave with the very tall, wooden roof and tiny windows, separated on both sides by a arcade (row of arches supported by columns) with aisles on the side with a much shorter room. I believe this is a lot like the great hall of a castle.

 
Rear of St. Joseph's Church facing the Entrance Door

I have to admit that this was not a church that stuck out in my mind or excited me like some of the others. (I feel terrible saying that, I felt terrible feeling that way when I was there!) It was not particularly pretty nor did it have anything special in the way of decoration.

 Mom with her Patron Saint

There was a really beautiful statue of St. Joseph and Jesus as a child which was very nice (except for that hideous backdrop!). Mom was born on St. Joseph's feast day so she has always had a very special relationship with St. Joseph.

As the story goes, my grandparents had 4 sons Louis, George, Jerry & Kenneth. When my my mother was born on March 19th, all my grandparents friends said "oh, you must name her Josephine in honor of St. Joseph's feast day" and my grandmother's reply was something along the lines of "Are you kidding me? I've got 4 sons, I'm not giving my baby girl a boy's name!" And her name is Rosemary.  ; )


I did love this statue though, just look at the way the artist has depicted Jesus' face - so full of love. And Joseph's hand on his shoulder as protector and guide. God Bless St. Joseph for his role in taking such wonderful care of Jesus & Mary!!


St. Joseph's church is multi-leveled like all the others because it is built over a site which has been venerated for 2000 years, with numerous churches or buildings to mark the spot.

This church actually has multiple claims, including that it is built over the house of Joseph and the Holy Family, and that this is the place where he carpenter workshop was.

Of course, all of this could be true since Mary & Joseph would have lived in the same small town. They could have lived this close together. And when they returned from Egypt, it makes perfect sense that they might have settled in Joseph's original home or very close to Mary's parents. And Joseph's carpenter shop would have been right near their home, right?  


This is some sort of baptismal pool, but because of the mosaic floor they know that it is not from the time of Jesus, but might be from as early as the 1st century.


These steps lead down to a gated door which goes into a grotto where they think the actual site(s) are. It was very mysterious looking with that green light and the cool way the rails cast shadows on the steps & wall!

You'll notice there are papers at the bottom of the steps which look like kinda trashy, but those are notes written by pilgrims - prayers to St. Joseph and the Holy Family. Most of the sites we visited had this sort of thing happening. Many places have prayers, money, holy cards and pictures thrown down into them. It does detract from the beauty of the site, but I guess it is a common practice.

We didn't get to go down inside this cave, but behind the gate is a chamber with water cisterns carved into the rock by the early dwellers of Nazareth. Possibly the Holy Family?


They did have some archaeological excavations outside, between the Church of St. Joseph and the Basilica of the Annunciation. It was under this strange little building/porch. It was hard to see from above, but as we left, we walked down a set of stairs and were then level with the excavations.


 The plaque stated:
 "What is left of the ancient village consists of a network of grottoes and bits of walls from various historical periods.  Going backwards in time we found first the remains of the XVII century Franciscan monastery, then the palace of the crusader archbishop of Nazareth and the humble homes with some parts datable up to the VIII century B.C.  The parts that were carved out of the soft local rock are the best preserved: cisterns for storing rainwater, silos set on different levels for storing foodstuff, a winepress, cellars for full jars, stables with mangers for the live stock, a bread oven.  The farthest to the east is traditionally knows as the "Virgin's kitchen' because of its proximity to the sacred grotto."

Now I don't know which way is east, but from where I'm standing to take this picture, the Basilica of the Annunciation is to the right.

So I got to thinking about these ruins and meditating on the pictures I took. If this is where Joseph lived before his marriage to Mary, then this is possibly the site of his annunciation also. !!!

I thought about how the girls of the time all hoped and prayed to bare the messiah. Did the men also think like this? Did they hope and pray that they would be the father of the deliverer? Did they dream about it as the girls all did?

When Mary came to Joseph to tell him of her pregnancy, and that she was to be the mother of the messiah, how shocked poor Joseph must have been. I'm sure he thought she was either a liar or touched in the head! Poor Joseph. Since he was betrothed to Mary, how this must have hurt him. How confused and torn he must have been. He obviously loved her since he was going to "dismiss her quietly" to keep her from being stoned. Was his heart broken to think that Mary had betrayed him? So sad.

Luke 1: 18-25

But the Angel came to him as he slept and explains. Joseph woke and did as the angel instructed. How relieved he must have been! How happy to know that his beloved Mary had not deceived him, but was to be the mother of the savior of Israel! He knew the prophecies, had to be well-versed in the Torah and the words of the prophets. What a good man, what a holy man!

I'm sure he was chosen because he led a good life. God knew he would be the provider and protector of His son. Was Joseph ever scared of the awesome responsibility? Or did God grant him wondrous grace to be self-assured and confident in his roll? He just seems like he must have been a wonderful man or God would not have chosen him and Mary would not have loved him. He totally deserves this and any other church dedicated to his memory and his honor!

St. Joseph, I pray that my husband and sons be men like you.  I pray that they be good husbands and fathers.  I pray that they be good providers and protectors.  And I pray that they, like you, are holy and obedient to God and His will.  Amen.


2012 Pilgrimage to Israel - Day 4

1 comment:

  1. Our pastor preached on the anguish of Joseph today (12-18-2016) at our church. They will post his sermon to youtube soon if you are interested. His thoughts and yours were very similar. Blessings to you. http://www.goserve.net/sermons

    ReplyDelete