Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Basilica of the Annunciation - the Church

ADVENT

When we entered the upper Sanctuary of the Basilica of the Annunciation there was another pilgrim group on the altar celebrating Mass. It's hard to "tour" a site while Holy Mass is going on, but it happened to us when we were having mass a few times and although I vaguely remember people moving around the outskirts, everyone is respectful and I never remember there being any problem with it.


You can see how the railing surrounds the opening which looks down into the Grotto where the actual Annunciation took place. This is a huge church, and I can just imagine it filled with worshipers who are able to file past the cavity on their way to Holy Communion and gaze down into the Grotto where it all began.


We contented ourselves with quietly checking out the walls which were covered in mosaics donated from countries all around the world.


My Dad always told me if you can't says something nice, don't say anything at all. I don't always follow that advise, but I'm going to when it comes to the "mosaic" donated by the United States...

Oh well.

There was a gorgeous, giant stained-glass window across the back that was reflecting beautifully on the floor and it took me about 8 tries to finally get the photo I wanted of it.
 

I don't know what the deal is, and I can't find anything about it on the internet, but all the wooden columns and supports for the walls and roof had small circles cut into them as you can see from the close-up above. It gave the entire church a different look for sure.


This is the parish church for the local Catholic community of Nazareth and the inscriptions on the Stations of the Cross are in Arabic.


The main isle was beautiful in the natural light that came in from the dome overhead when we were there and Mom captured this lovely picture of it.


Fellow pilgrims look very thoughtful when contemplating the Basilica.

 

When I look at the faces in this photo, I feel like I can identify with them. Look how they are "pondering" this sacred place. Don't they look like they are really, intensely trying to understand? To grasp?

I recounted in an early post how I struggled to make a connection with this holy site (and others). I was filled with interior anxiety because I didn't feel some all-enveloping-warm-fuzzy from being there. I was straining within my mind to unite myself to this place and imprint it on my heart forever.

I was allowed to stand within 3 feet of the spot where Gabriel spoke with Mary and told her about her part in the salvation of the world.

It's just profound!

Mary had free will just like we all do. She could have easily said no to God's plan. And so can we. But she didn't, she said yes. And helped save us all.

She became the Mother of God, the Mother of us all!

I might not have had a heart-stopping mystical moment in the Grotto, but that doesn't mean I don't have a spiritual connection with Mary.

Dearest Mary, Thank You for always being available to me in all occasions.  You have always been a wonderful guiding light in difficult times.  I am so blessed to have you to count on to stand at any of the crossroads in my life and point the way to your son, Jesus.  Amen.


 2012 Pilgrimage to Israel - Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment