Wednesday, January 8, 2014

They Were Astounded


ORDINARY TIME

Mark 6: 45-51
"Then he made his disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side toward Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd.  And when he had taken leave of them, he went off to the mountain to pray.  When it was evening, the boat was far out on the sea and he was alone on shore.  Then he saw that they were tossed about while rowing, for the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them walking on the sea.  He meant to pass by them.  But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out.   They had all seen him and were terrified. But at once he spoke with them, “Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid!” He got into the boat with them and the wind died down. They were [completely] astounded."

 "They were completely astounded"

I understand.  Sometimes, even though you are looking directly at something, your mind is so surprised that you just can't make sense of it all.  You really can't "wrap your brain around it". 

One time my son was stationed in Sudan, Africa for a year.  His wife and baby were staying with my family until his return in July.   One evening in March I was standing at the kitchen sink with my daughter-in-law when I saw the UPS man enter my garage through the window.  I was surprised when he continued right into my kitchen, grabbed my daughter-in-law in a huge hug and said "Hi Mom!".  I was completely astounded!  It was my son, Mitch!

But my brain couldn't make sense of Mitch being in my garage (since he was suppose to be thousands and thousands of miles away) so my mind told me is was the UPS man, who resembled my son.  I even had a lightening-quick thought that the UPS man sure was tall like Mitch as he was coming through the garage.  My brain was having a hard time grasping what it was actually seeing!


How surprised must the Apostles have been when Jesus walked up to them - across the water!  And not only that, through the rough waters of a storm.

After the initial shock of seeing Mitch wore off (which took a minute let me tell you!), I couldn't wipe the sappy smile from my face!  My heart was bursting with happiness and bubbling over with joy!

Surely Peter reacted the same way!  And in the excitement of the moment and while his mind was dealing with the intense confusion of what he was witnessing, he leaped joyfully from the boat and strode out to meet Jesus!

Yet as he stepped further away from the comfort, safety - normalcy - of the boat, he began to falter.  His mind told him this couldn't be possible.  Satan cast doubt into his mind and Peter began to sink.

Sometimes we believe without seeing and sometimes we can't believe even when we are actually seeing.

But with a wonderful God like we have, we should always be willing to accept miracles!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment