Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Spiritual Moment Captured at the Grotto of the Nativity

 CHRISTMAS

We were all waiting to enter the cave where Jesus was born, standing all bunched up on those crazy funnel steps with the hideous light which I told you about in the post Church of the Nativity.

Entrance to the Grotto of the Nativity

We were all squeezed together pretty tight. The light over the door was so bright and was radiating such heat! It was just blazing!


As I mentioned, emotions had been running high due to the rude tour group behind us and the confrontation between them and some of the folks in our group. Everyone was full of anxiety and excitement at the same time. As were were all standing there, holding onto each other to keep from falling down the stairs, I looked through the crowd and there stood N.



 He was the youngest pilgrim in our group at only 15 years old. Earlier N had purchased a crucifix which he was carrying to all the holy sites with him. When I saw him, he was standing so still and so quiet - amongst all the movement and noise around him. He looked absolutely serine, clutching his cross to his heart, and I began to cry!

His innocence, and the beauty of his personal devotion was overwhelming to me at that moment. It was absolutely beautiful and precious to see him standing there, in his own world, completely oblivious to the chaos around him. He was standing so quiet. He was staring at the door and not moving at all. He looked so reverent. So expectant. So beautiful.


I motioned to his mother, and she saw what I saw. Or something like it, because she began to cry too. We stood there, two tearful women, sharing a beautiful moment together.

As I think of it now, I realize that this then, was my spiritual gift at the Church of the Nativity.

This stairwell, the long line, it was like Advent.

We were waiting. We were tired. It was uncomfortable and noisy and full of tension and anxiety and hopefulness and excitement and hot and claustrophobic. We were all waiting to touch the sacred spot, waiting to say a prayer, waiting to take a picture, receive a blessing, see the site, connect to the story.

Yet when I looked at N, I saw this innocent young person. One child waiting to meet another.

Thank You Lord for showing me this special moment.  Thank You Lord for letting me capture it so that I could meditate on it later.  And Thank You Lord for giving me this special, spiritual memory as my souvenir of my visit to the church where your son was born.  Amen.


2013 Pilgrimage to Israel - Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment