Saturday, December 29, 2012

epiphany with a little e

CHRISTMAS

In reading back over the Gospel Stories of the Birth of Jesus, I wonder why it is only mentioned in Luke and Matthew?


(The kids from my church at this year's Christmas Program
 which both my youngest son & oldest granddaughter sang in!)

I've seen many tv shows about how further writings from those times (the era when the gospels were written) have been found by archaeologists and others and there seems to be other books and letters written about the circumstances of the birth and youth of Jesus.


My snap/first reaction is - oh, they need to update the Bible now that this new data has come to light! Oh how wonderful it will be to know more about him and his life before he started his public mission. And with any other instance, site, event or writing in history this would be true. But not with the Bible.

The Bible was divinely inspired. It was led to exactly what is is today, by the Holy Spirit all those years ago.

If God had wanted more information included, He would have arranged for the information to have come to light at that time and it would have been part of the Bible.

I'm going to liken my trip to Israel to this idea.

I prayed about my trip ahead of time before I left. I prayed while I was there. I prayed while I was standing in some of the holiest places in the universe.

Inside the edicule, the burial site of Christ

I tried to stay open to the Holy Spirit everywhere I went in Israel. I wanted to be open to receive any spiritual experience God would grant me. I prayed that I would be where I need to be, to see what I needed to see. I prayed to hear anything I needed to hear. To feel whatever God wanted me to feel.

With all my wishing and hope in and expecting and wanting and trying and anticipating and stressing - for the prayers of a connection, a deepening of relationship, for the desire of an epiphany of faith - I'm going to be satisfied and say that I received exactly what God wanted me to have.

God is mystical. , so I may never (in this life) ever understand some of the things that did or did not happen on my trip.

But I'm going to continue to mull it over and meditate on each aspect as I now travel through this Liturgical Year.


As I read the biblical stories I will continue to ponder and consider the events and experiences I had in Israel. I will examine my thoughts and feelings. And I hope and pray to continue to have my own personal epiphanies!
* Epiphany (capitalized) - January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.

* epiphany (small e) - (1) a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something. (2) an intuitive grasp of reality through something usually simple or striking. (3) an illuminating discovery, realization or disclosure.

Dear Lord, Thank You for the gift of this project.  Thank You for giving me a way to express my desire to align myself, my visit to the holy land and your son and your word into one in my mind and heart.  Please let me comprehend your messages and glean all the understanding I can from them.  Thank You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment