Sunday, February 3, 2013

Expecting Miracles - Or Not

ORDINARY TIME

The city of Nazareth as seen from Mt. Tabor

 Luke 4:21-30
He said to them, “Today this scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing."  And all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They also asked, “Isn’t this the son of Joseph?”He said to them, “Surely you will quote me this proverb, ‘Physician, cure yourself,’ and say, ‘Do here in your native place the things that we heard were done in Capernaum.”  And he said, “Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.”When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.

  View from the "brow of a hill" in Nazareth looking out over the Jezreel Valley

Jesus spoke in the synagogue in Nazareth and all the people were expecting "a show".  They had heard about his miracles in Caperneum, so I guess they figured if he did that there, what must he be saving for his hometown?!  Surely he was saving the best for his friends back home!

(Oh!  Is this how I was in Israel??  I have attended church in the US since I was born, I've been to retreats, adoration, visited missions and shrines and have felt the Holy Spirit at them all.  Was I now expecting the "big show" just because I was in Israel??)

The scripture says at first the people "spoke highly" of Jesus.  I guess they were pretty proud of the "home town boy"!  But were they really believers?  Did they believe he was who he said, or did they have a "show me" or "prove it" attitude?

(Was I expecting to see miracles on my pilgrimage?  Was I expecting more just because of my location, just like the people of Nazareth because of their connection to Jesus?  Was I expecting Israel to "preform" just like the people of Nazareth were expecting Jesus to perform for them?)

Then people of Nazareth were like "Do you hear this guy?  Who does he think he is?  Isn't this that carpenter's son from down the street?"  They couldn't imagine that he could be more than just the boy they grew up with.

(Is this how I feel at my hometown church?  Do I think miracles can't happen here because it is all too familiar?  Do I think I need to travel to far-off places to have a holy experience?)
The people got mad at Jesus (for insinuating he was the Messiah?  for not performing any miracles for them?) and tried to throw him off a high hill.  But he just passed between the angry crowd.

 Another view from the "brow of a hill" in Nazareth looking out over the Jezreel Valley

I know this is not true, but I also understand where the people of Nazareth were coming from.


Years ago when I was in the midst of my own personal spiritual conversion I had my own personal miracle.

It was a turning point in my life, as of course all miracles should be!

I was one of those luke-warm Catholics that did my time at church each Sunday without any real devotion or enthusiasm.  I was also a CCD teacher, but more because I had children in the program than from any real calling.  We didn't have a lot of money and teachers children attended for free. Lame right?

Anyway, I was at the library looking for something for my class and came across a book called "Visions of the Children". I thought it was about things to do with children and checked it out. As it turned out it was a book about the young visionaries of Medjugorje.

The book changed my life.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but it did.  (go read it! see for yourself!)  Leave it to our Blessed Mother to be the one to lead me back to a real relationship with her son!

Anyway, the short version is that this book made me examine what I believed, as apposed to what I thought, as apposed to what I was taught as a child about the Catholic faith.  Although I had many things happen or change in my life as a result of these self-examinations, I want to tell you about the bomb-shell.

I had read at at various times in the book to "pray, pray, pray".  This is Mary's wish and she says it all through the book (she is still saying it btw).  Pray for children, pray for marriage, pray for pregnant women, pray for your spouse, pray for priests, pray for your parents...so I had begun to say the rosary every day on my 30 minute ride to work and dedicating it to her intentions.

Monday was for my spouse and marriage in general.
Tuesday was for an end to abortion.
Wednesday was for my son Mitch.
Thursday was for random intentions of the week.
Friday was for my daughter Lacy.

So each day I prayed and offered my prayers for our Lady's intentions.

At this point I should say that every day I was praying in my car using a very old rosary that my grandmother had given me which belonged to her big sister.  My grandmother, Pete, had a sister she called Aggie who had died in a car wreck.  It was old with a silver chain and cross which had her name engraved on it "Agnes Zeller" and little fake pearl beads which the coating was rubbing off a lot of them.

I would read about the wonderful events that happened in Medjugorje and wish wish wish I could go there and be part of it all!  I wanted to be a pilgrim and be where our Lady was appearing in that holy place! 

So I'm driving along like everyday saying my rosary, but my mind begins to wander in the lulling familiarity of the prayers.  I guess I had let my guard down and let Satan in through that tiny crack.  It must have been a Tuesday because I was thinking "what good is it for me to be praying for an end to abortion?  How could my one little prayer be a drop in the bucket of prayers said today about all the subjects being prayed about?  How is my prayer even heard amongst so many and how could my insignificant little attempt make any difference at all?"

FLASH!

There was this bright flash in my hand!  I nearly ran off the road!  I looked down and my rosary was shining weirdly in the sunlight.  I pulled over and looked and it was the strangest thing---my rosary chain had turned gold!!!!!  Yes, GOLD!!

My brain couldn't make sense of it.  The cross and medal were still silver.  Aunt Aggies name was still there.  The beads were still the same peeling mother-of-pearl...but the chain!  The chain was gold! I was sure there was something wrong.  I was sure this was some trick of the sun.  I was sure I was remembering wrong.  Had it always been gold?

Rosary with silver center piece & crucifix and golden chain

I decided to use my youngest child as a confirmation.  When I picked her up from school I just causally asked her, "What color is mommy's rosary?"  And she described it to a tee, including the silver chain!

OMYGOSH!!!!  OH...MY...GOSH.  !!!!

It HAD changed!  It was silver before and now it was gold!  WOW!  It was a miracle! A real, honest miracle!  I had never heard of such a thing before!!

My Great-Aunt Aggie's silver rosary

And immediately on the heels of that thought was: what does this mean?

And through prayer and discernment on this profound and special gift to me, it was laid on my heart simply that my prayers are heard.  My prayers are heard.  My prayers help.  My prayers are powerful.

Even my one, puny little prayer makes a difference and means something to our Lord God Almighty.

Our Lady heard me praying and heard me doubting.  And she graciously allowed me the most awesome gift: " We Hear You".   How blessed am I?????


And you know what else?  I don't have to be anywhere "holy" or special to pray.  As awesome as my my trip to Israel was, wherever I am, whatever I am doing, whatever time it is, it's a perfect time & place to pray!  I don't need to be in the room with Our Lady as she appears on earth today in Medjugorje and I don't need to be on my knees on the rock of Calvary where Our Lord was crucified in Jerusalem and I don't even need to be in my own hometown church in front of the altar.  My car is a fine place to pray.  As is my bedroom.  Or my porch swing.  Or my laundry room. 

The Great I AM is listening.

Lord God Almighty, let me never forget that each and every heartfelt word I say to you is heard.  The Creator of Heaven and Earth and all things visible and invisible...is listening and loves me. 


ps.  Are you wondering what ever happened to my miracle rosary?  I showed it to a few people and told my story to others.  I treasured it and treasured the event, and still do!  But I began to feel that I was sorry about this miracle having to happen to me.  How lame was I that I needed a miracle?!?!  I should never have doubted that my prayers were heard, I should have had faith in what I had been taught by the Catholic church!   I told God I was sorry that he had to "show me", that my faith was weak.  I felt bad to have needed a miracle of my own!  I practically grabbed Jesus' arm and tried to throw him from the hill with my doubts, didn't I?

I thought such a wondrous event should not have been wasted on me and my weakness, it might have been used to cure or save someone!  Oh, how sneaky is Satan.  He was taking my gift and talking me into feeling bad about it.

Well, I don't feel that way anymore.  I love my special gift and I will never forget how God my Father loves me individually and loves to hear from me.  I will listen to Holy Mary my Mother and pray pray pray.  (she always says it three times like that!).  Always!

Oh, and the rosary?  I gave it away.  I didn't want to focus on the rosary.  I didn't want to make the rosary an accidental object of worship, I didn't want to become attached to it, or make it "magical".  I gave it to someone very special to me who knows and believes the miracle and will always have it to remember me and my conversion But I will never forget it, never.  Nor the day Mary, the Mother of God said "We hear you!".    : )

2012 Pilgrimage to Israel - Day Three

 

No comments:

Post a Comment