Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Bread of Israel


LENT

Have I ever told you about the breads in Israel?


Oh they were so pretty!

At every meal in the hotel in Jerusalem, our bread had a unique and interesting shape. (Nothing like those pop-n-fresh rolls I feed my poor family!)


For all I know, it was the same exact bread each meal in a different shape, but I enjoyed it as if it was a different type of bread each day!



A lot of times, even if it was round, it was in a different swirl or twist from the previous day.


Once it was even in a triangle!


It was all very good, very tasty.



The only down-side was the kosher rules that went with it. No milk products at night with meat. (So that meant no butter. No ranch dressing either! LOL!) Nothing creamy at all.  (I did become a brand new lover of hummus, but that's another story!)


I found out on one of my favorite blogs, Creative Jewish Mom, that this is called Challah Bread and it does come in a multitude of shapes. She even has a post about making Challah Rolls for a Crowd!

So as Lent was coming up and I was thinking about what I was going to do to enhance mine and try to make my life more holy, the idea of giving up bread came to me.

WHAT? Get real!

But as the Holy Spirit generally does with me, if He wants something, then he just keeps "poking" me with it.

Making toast? *Poke.

Eating a cheeseburger? *Poke.

See a doughnut? *Poke.

Offered a cookie? *Poke.

SERIOUSLY?

Then as I started to consider it for real...could I do such a thing?

What about Fridays, I can't eat meat, so could I give up bread too?

We shall see, because I'm attempting it. I decided that it would be awesome. The only bread I will consume during Lent will be the Bread of Life.



I'm excited to begin!!!!

OMGosh Lord!  You've asked me for a gift.  Please help me to be up to the challenge and wrap it with a bow for you!  Amen.  

btw - my most favorite "bread" was the toast at one of my morning meals in Nazareth!   


Breakfast in the Land of "Milk & Honey"
I thought I was pretty cute having my meal of "milk and honey" as I sat in the 6th floor dinning room looking out over Nazareth's morning routine! 

(hehehe)  I enjoyed it very much!  : )

2012 Pilgrimage to Israel - 

***Update:  So I made it through Lent.  Wow, that was HARD!  I knew it would be when I decided to give up bread, but it was actually much harder than I thought it would be....bread is EVERYWHERE!  I won't say I did a perfect job, but I did try very hard.  It was so meaningful each Sunday to take Communion.  I know it's not bread any longer, and it certainly doesn't look or taste like bread.  But I did find myself much more aware of the specialness of it each week.  I also had such a yearning for bread, chips, cake, sandwiches, a hamburger, doughnuts....the list is unending.  And I tried to align myself mentally to take that yearning for physical bread and make it a yearning for a deeper relationship with Jesus and his passion.  It was definitely a different Lent and one I'm sure I will repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment